Friday, August 11, 2006

The Power of Linking and Link Exchanges

Yesterday my sitemeter at A World of Bloggers clicked over 1000 unique visitors from around the world. I am proud that this has occurred in just over two weeks since its inception. This was partly due to a bit of luck that the blog was seen by Bobby Griffin at Bestest Blog of All Time, and awarded the Bestest Blog of the Day for July 26 2006. Since then, interest for the blog has exploded.

As more and more people link to A World of Bloggers, it has been seen by their readers which has then attracted more interest. This has the follow-on benefit to those who already have their blogs linked there.

There is a lot of good articles written about the power of linking. I first discovered this concept at InstaBloke's Tips for Successful Blogging, where tip 14 states: 'Don't be stingy with your links. The search engines will love you for it'. This tip links to another article that explains the power of linking in Search Engine Optimization (SEO). A synopsis of this article is basically that one of the ways Google ranks websites and blogs is by the amount of incoming links. It counts each of these links as votes by third parties that the website is popular and therefore is worth being ranked higher in the search engine results. ProBlogger.net also has a good article about SEO that is worth reading if you would like to know more.

Another article worth reading is Instabloke's article on Why You Shouldn't Use Blogrolling.com. The reason, he explains, is that blogrolling uses a javascript to create the blogroll and not simple html code links that the search engines are looking for to your site. If you would like to learn how to modify the links section on your blog, see here.

I have also recently discovered that linking can be dangerous. One moment you are clicking on links from one to the next, discovering more new and exciting stuff, when suddenly from the next link you are confronted with graphic content you were least expecting. Whoa!

What I am leading to by this post is that I welcome link exchanges with other bloggers. Please leave me a comment or send me an email and we can go from there. Sorry, no spam, overly graphic content or objectionable content please.

13 Comments:

Blogger lastlifeinmyuniverse said...

a thousand ?

how i envy you.

8/12/2006 3:14 AM  
Blogger Mike Busson said...

Hi Rhys,

You may be interested in some of the articles on Twenty Steps (http://www.twentysteps.com) especially the one regarding Blogger.

Looking at your posts you're moving in the right direction. Inbound links to your website are a key factor in how Google scores your page. However be careful with signing up to any old link exchange programme. If you suddenly have 150 new links overnight, Google will think that you've joined a link farm and that will go against you. Manually submitting to high PR sites is the way forward. I'll be writing an article about precisely that over the weekend :D

Good work. Keep it up.

Mike

8/12/2006 3:14 AM  
Blogger Angelo Villagomez said...

Another great way to guarantee lots of links is to use a lot of proper nouns in your posts. Let me explain:

There are websites our there that troll the Internet for certain phrases. For example, there might be a website that syndicates every Internet post for "Honda+Insurance+Hybrid."

Or something like that.

Those websites pick up your site and then add a link to it, thus upping your google juice.

8/12/2006 10:30 AM  
Blogger Penrick said...

I'm adding you to my blog - I will read on..........

My site picked up big time after I hit Bobby Griffin's Blog of the Day also

8/12/2006 10:44 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

Thanks a ton for linking me, man... I'm gonna do the same for your photoblog, great stuff.

8/12/2006 4:31 PM  
Blogger Richard said...

Rhys,

I think you're on to something. I wrote my blog thinking it would just get picked up - I copied some of the techniques I'd seen other people use but now I figure it's time to drive traffic. I'd sure love to have 1000 visitors.

I'd love to connect - My whole family live in New Zealand so I have a very strong affinity for the place. In fact if you could see my dream board you'd know that I plan to retire to NZ - the worlds most beautiful place when I reach the ripe old age of 44.

Best of luck and I'll keep checking in.

8/13/2006 3:03 AM  
Blogger Rosemary said...

You've hit on the very reason I started the BLOG VILLAGE TopList. I got tired of opening blogs when I was surfing on the traffic exchanges and finding my eyeballs being filled with waaaaaay too much human anatomy, thank you very much! Or, in some cases, it was blogs that needed to have the blogger's mouth put through the dishwasher a couple of times, and I'm not sure that would have even been enough to clean it up.

I don't use profanity myself, and neither does my husband, but I can ignore a certain amount of it in a good movie, book, TV show, or blog, IF the content is worth it. But some bloggers don't seem to be able to express themselves any other way.

I've been very pleased to find that there are lots of bloggers who DO know how to express themselves intelligently! As of this writing we have grown to 157 active members in less than 3 months!

If you start thinking about all the blog rolls on just those 157 blogs, you can see there is a potential for a LOT of links there!!!

psssssst Don't forget to put the BLOG VILLAGE voting link on.

8/13/2006 3:49 AM  
Blogger Blog Bloke said...

Well done Rhys. I'm impressed with how quickly you have applied what you learned. In no time I'll be reading you in the top 100. Keep up the good work.

Cheers!

Blog Bloke

8/13/2006 8:03 AM  
Blogger Reeholio said...

Wow, I'm heartened by all the feedback this post has generated.

Sorry for the slow response, it has been a hectic weekend.

Thanks lastlife. The hard part now is to keep up the momentum.

Mike, thanks for the advice. I had a quick look at 20 steps and it looks very interesting. I will be back shortly to take the time to read it properly.

I will have to research that idea further OSB, it looks interesting. Do you have any ideas where to start for good gen on it?

Thanks Penrick, you're now linked too ;-)

Thanks Dave, I'm honoured. I really enjoy your Photos and I learn alot from them.

Hi Richard, thanks for the feedback. I have just had a quick read through your blog and I think you have some great ideas too. I will be over to yours shortly to share my thoughts.

Good to see we think alike Rosemary, and thanks for including me at Blog Village.

Blogbloke. I'm honoured that you have stopped by to comment. When I first started getting excited about blogging I read nearly every article you had published and soaked up a lot of your great ideas. I had just been at your blog now, reading your 10 reasons why I don't like your blog and I have just learned the importance of another good blog tool - answering comments :-)

I was planning to sit down tonight to write a post about the power of commenting (or similar), but it is getting late, so that will now have to wait until then...

8/13/2006 9:52 PM  
Blogger Think Extraordinary said...

nice blog! really liked it N i really like to read your blog n i would like to do link exchange with ya blog . mine blog link below plz check out if you thinks its suits for ur blog let me know by email …

My Blog is Something Very Beautifull - http://somethingbeautifull.blogspot.com/

Thx in Advance

8/13/2006 10:29 PM  
Blogger Jaileigh said...

Hello! I blogmarked your blog one night while surfing via blog explosion and had to know what you had to say about links and link exchanges. I'm so glad that I came back to your site. I've been trying so hard to get some attention to my new blogs so that I can start earning some money and I've been hitting walls at every turn. My name is going to take you to my blogger profile, but my two blogs are over at blogcharm. The first one is http://www.blogcharm.com/pinkjeweledcat and the other one is http://www.blogcharm.com/perfectworkinprogress. Too bad I didn't read this post before putting my blogrolls on my site. Now I've just got to get all the links and put them in a listing without the 'roll'. Thanks again for the great tips and hints. Ta for now dahling.

8/15/2006 1:51 PM  
Blogger Reeholio said...

Hi Jewels. My pleasure to be of help. Good luck changing that blogroll.

PS> Is it just me or is it a co-incidence that blogroll rhymes with bog-roll?!

8/15/2006 7:47 PM  
Blogger Mimi Lenox said...

Great stuff here! I'm so glad I found your site. Bloggers with intelligence and writing chops need to be noticed. Thanks for helping to make that possible! Mimi at
MimiWrites.blogspot.com

8/17/2006 9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Back to the top (not the future)