Thursday, September 21, 2006

Tag You're It! - Books

While procrastinating about what to blog about next, I went to check out what Yaxlich had been up to. There I discovered Yaxlich had tagged me in his post about books. So here I go...

1. One book that changed your life

How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie. I mentioned this book here already. I can not recommend this book enough.

2. One book that you've read more than once.

Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach. This book only takes a couple of hours to read. When I finished it I just sat there and thought 'Wow!". Then I read it again the same day.

This book is all about the magic of flying. Not just flying for a seagull to get from one feed to another but flying for flying's sake. There are many hidden meanings and innuendos through out the book that make you stop and think about a lot of things...

3. One book that you'd want on a desert island.

McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Science & Technology (20 Volume Set). If I ever got rescued I would know a lot about science and technology. If not, I would have something to stimulate my mind while I'm there.

4. One book that made you laugh.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. I have read the whole series of these books, and each one was a laugh a page.

5. One book that made you cry.

This would have to be Tuesday's With Morrie by Mitch Albom. This is a true story about Mitch, who finds out that his close friend, teacher and mentor, Morrie, from College is dying. Mitch decides to go and visit Morrie. He then spends every Tuesday with Morrie recording their interviews and memories until eventually Morrie passes away.

Often, it is only when it is too late, that we really tell a person what they mean to us. This 'too late' is normally at their funeral. At the time I read this book, a great friend of mine Chris, was dying of cancer. I kept avoiding going to see him, because I hadn't seen him for a long time and I felt uneasy about it. After reading this book, I sat down and wrote a letter to Chris thanking him for his friendship, his guidance, his mentorship, and telling him that he had a major influence on my life. I never did go to see Chris, but at his funeral a friend of mine told me that Chris had shed a tear or two when he read this letter. I don't know if I would have ever been able to tell him the things I wrote in person, but at least I told him - in a way. I still regret never going to see Chris, as Mitch did with Morrie.

6. One book that you wish you had written.

On my life list of things to do is 'Write a book'. One day...maybe.

7. One book you wish had never been written.

Mein Kamph by Adolf Hitler. maybe if he had never written this book, the atrocities that were commited under his leadership may never have happened.

8. One book that you are reading at the moment.

Digital Fortress by Dan Brown. I have also read and enjoyed The Davinci Code, Angels and Demons and Deception Point.

9. One book that you've been meaning to read.

The Life of Pi by Yann Martel. I have heard a lot of good things about this book, and keep meaning to get hold of a copy of it to read.

10. Five others that you’d like to do this.

Frank, Debs, Richard, Penny, and Julie

10 Comments:

Blogger Lizza said...

Oh yes, Jonathan Livingston Seagull is not only an easy read, it has layers of meaning as well.

Nice selection, Rhys!

9/21/2006 10:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nicely done, Rhys. Funny, after I completed this book meme on my book blog (I was tagged by lizza), I was thinking of Tuesdays with Morrie, too, as a book that changed my life. I thought your response about Mein Kampf was very well considered. I always enjoy looking at the book list you update regularly on your sidebar.

9/21/2006 11:25 PM  
Blogger Yaxlich said...

You can buy The Life of Pi at Amazon for $3.1415926535897932

9/22/2006 5:33 AM  
Blogger Mimi Lenox said...

Thanks for reminding me about Tuesdays with Morrie. I've been meaning to read that book for some time. I also want to re-read Jonathan Livingston Seagull. I recently attended a meeting where the keynote speaker used that book as the theme for his entire presentation, complete with a paper seagull on the podium. It was inspiring.

9/22/2006 2:55 PM  
Blogger Kimberley said...

Very interesting..I see you enjoy reading "alot" as well...

9/22/2006 3:09 PM  
Blogger Reeholio said...

Thanks for all your feedback.

Yes, we share that common interest Lizza ;)

Gale, I think Tuesday's With Morrie changed me life significantly, but it was a tough choice between that and How to win friends'.

Yaxlich, only 16 decimal places? hahaha!

Mimi, I'm sure you will enjoy Tuesday's with Morrie. I would have loved to have heard that speaker's address.

Kimberley, reading is just one of my many interests. My brain is a sponge that doesn't soak up knowledge quick enough. I just wish I could read faster.

9/22/2006 8:18 PM  
Blogger Jules said...

Hi! I didn't know you tagged me! I've already been tagged for this meme a few days ago by Morgen, and you can see my answers on my 9/22/06 entry. Thanks for thinking of me though! ;-)

9/24/2006 5:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow! Jonathan! great book! you should also read books of José Mauro de Vasconcelos! if you like Seagull, you will like his books too. You can see the names in my blog ;)

Loves

Nice blog by the way ;)

9/26/2006 6:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let me know what you thought of Digital Fortress when you're done (perhaps you can write a review for Writers, Ink? www.fictionaryx.blogspot.com)
Of the 4 Dan Brown books, this one was my least favorite.
Although Deception Point had its cheezy moments. That said, I thought Angels & Demons was the best overall novel of the 4, but DaVinci Code was the best read.
Okay, done with my Dan Brown. Along with the other ga-zillion readers of the DaVinci Code, I'm eagerly anticipating his next book.

9/27/2006 12:39 PM  
Blogger Reeholio said...

Hi Julie, no worries, it was spreading like wild fire.

Thanks for the tip Osman, I will have to look up his books.

I'm nearly finished it Morgen. I will have a think about the review. I've never done one before.

9/27/2006 3:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Back to the top (not the future)